A Journey to Learn From The Best Minds Basketball Has to Offer
I am writing from the great city of Chicago. Landed here yesterday and am on the first leg of what I hope will be a great learning adventure.
I have always thought it would be great to go out and watch the best coaches in different parts of the country to get a sense for how our game’s best minds and teachers tackle the challenges set out in front of them. In addition, the ability to watch how players in different regions of the country approach the game is an area that I find intriguing as well.
This is the first leg of what I hope will be a nationwide circuit. The plan is to hit the Midwest, East Coast, Northeast, West Coast, Pacific Northwest and the Southeast.
I will be taking notes, and sharing in any discoveries I make through our Hoops 101 Nation Blog in the hopes that some of my discoveries will be of value to any coaches, players or fans of the game out there.
Here are some of the questions I will be seeking answers to:
- How do you ALLOCATE your PRACTICE TIME? What percentage of time do you devote to different phases of the game?
- What DEFENSIVE SYSTEMS do you use and why did you settle on those systems?
- What OFFENSIVE SYSTEMS do you use and why did you settle on those systems?
- What is your COMMUNICATION system? How do you communicate changes in defense and offense quickly and efficiently?
- What EVALUATION systems do you use to be able to measure the effectiveness of your overall attack?
- How do you enforce ACCOUNTABILITY? Coach to player? Player to player? Player to coach? Coach to Coach?
- How is FEEDBACK given in your program? Coach to player? Player to player? Player to coach? Coach to Coach?
- Describe your TEAM CULTURE and what role that plays in your team’s overall success.
This is my first foray into official BLOGGING. I have found that I have profited a great deal from the willingness on the part of so many to willingly share.
It is my hope that some will be able to learn from the The Ultimate Hoops Trip, and that by writing, I, too will be able to better process what it is I observe.
If you want to subscribe to this blog so that you get automatic updates, just fill out the subscription box at the bottom of the page. Include your email, and you will immediately get all of the Hoops Nation Blog updates as they are delivered hot off the WebPress.
If you have any thoughts or questions that you would like asked, please share them in the comments below or email me.
- Butler Bulldogs
- Purdue Boilermakers
- Indiana Hoosiers
- Michigan State Spartans
- Michigan Wolverines
- Detroit Pistons