We covered the 4 Levels of Defense along with the Defensive Mentality Checklist. Using a video edit of Fredie Williams, we illustrated the energy and the mentality that it takes to play in the bubble and change the game defensively.
- First Session: Level 1 and Level 2 defense.
- Second Session: Level 3 and Level 4 defense, along with DTRANS [space height=”12″]
THE FOUR LEVELS OF DEFENSE
VISUAL: The “Four Levels of Defense:
We shared the following outline to help players understand what it takes to be a Level 4 Defender. This is a sheet you can use to evaluate what type of defender you are. You can also use it to evaluate your team defense.
VIDEO: FREDIE WILLIAMS & DEFENSIVE PESTITUDE
An edit featuring former Texas Longhorn Fredie Williams, one of the most tireless defenders who ever played at Texas. Fredie was 5-10 and was able to play Division 1 College Basketball mostly due to his defensive abilities.
Take note of:
- IN THE BUBBLE: Fredie is always within hand-shaking distance while guarding his man with the ball.
- PAINTS THE FLOOR WITH HIS FEET: Take note of how active and energetic Fredie is both on the ball and off the ball.
- GETTING F.A.T.: Take note of how Fredie jabs and recovers on defense to and Fakes and Threatens both on the ball and away from the ball to disrupt timing and negatively impact decision-making.
VIDEO: LEVEL 4 TEAM DEFENSE & AUSTIN HIGH
An edit featuring the 2009-2010 Austin High Runnin’ Maroons varsity team. Team defense is shown through the different levels of defense.